More foreign vessels on cruise in the Croatian Adriatic in 2022 compared to 2021, but still less than in 2019
In 2022, foreign vessels on cruise sailed the Croatian Adriatic during all months, which is a certain recovery compared to 2021, when the first foreign vessel on cruise arrived as late as June.
The number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise as well as the number of passengers on board these vessels was three times higher in 2022 than in 2021, when, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, stricter epidemiological measures were introduced that limited journeys of foreign vessels on cruise. The number of their sojourns was twice as high as in 2021.
Comparing the data of 2022 with those of 2019, the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic on foreign vessels on cruise are noticeable. In 2022, the number of foreign vessels on cruise decreased by 12.9%, the number of their sojourns by 9.7% and the number of passengers on board these vessels by 43.5% compared to 2019.
In 2022, a total of 82 foreign vessels on cruise arrived in the Croatian Adriatic
In the period from January to December 2022, a total of 82 foreign vessels on cruise arrived in Croatian seaports, which realised 632 journeys. There were 634 thousand passengers on board who stayed for 1 324 days in Croatia.
Foreign vessels on cruise sailed under the flags of 15 countries. The largest number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise was realised under the flag of the Bahamas, as much as 163 journeys, which accounted for 25.8% of the total journeys realised in 2022. Those were followed by journeys realised under the flags of Malta (146 journeys), Italy (75 journeys) and Panama (65 journeys).
Out of a total of 632 journeys of foreign vessels on cruise, most of them, as in previous years, were realised in the County of Dubrovnik-Neretva (44.0%) and the County of Split-Dalmatia (32.4%), which made up a total of 76.4%. The remaining 23.6% of journeys were realised in the following counties: Zadar (12.5%), Istria (4.7%), Primorje-Gorski kotar (3.5%) and Šibenik-Knin (2.9%).
Dubrovnik, the most visited seaport
The majority of visits of foreign vessels on cruise was realised in the seaport of Dubrovnik (408 visits), followed by the seaports of Split (272 visits), Zadar (143 visits), Hvar (98 visits), Korčula (91 visits), Rovinj (63 visits) and Šibenik (60 visits).
Detailed monthly data are available on the website of the Croatian Bureau of Statistics, under "PC-Axis databases", where it is possible to browse and print data in various forms. Databases are updated at the monthly basis.
1 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE
2 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY FLAG OF VESSEL, JANUARY – DECEMBER 2022
3 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY MONTHS, 2019, 2020, 2021 AND 2022
The purpose of the statistical survey
The statistical survey is aimed at monitoring the entries of foreign vessels on cruise in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia, the number of passengers aboard and the days in which a ship stays in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. The results of this survey provide indicators used in the analysis of tourism in the Republic of Croatia.
The survey is carried out on the basis of the Official Statistics Act (NN, No. 25/20).
Sources and methods of data collection
The data source for the statistical survey on cruises of foreign vessels in the Republic of Croatia is the Croatian Integrated Maritime Information System (CIMIS). The Croatian Bureau of Statistics takes over a part of the database from the Ministry of Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, after which it performs further processing.
Among other data, ships submit information on the ship, journey and passengers to this system through authorised maritime agents and shippers. The accuracy and completeness of the data in the official proceedings of registration is verified by the harbour master’s offices.
Coverage and comparability
Observation unit for this survey is a foreign vessel on a tourist cruise that enters the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
In the tables 1, 2 and 3, the data on foreign vessels on cruise include only seaports of the first entry of the foreign vessel on cruise into the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
In the Graph G-2, the data on visits of foreign vessels on cruise include all seaports visited by those vessels during their stay in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. Visits in seaports are presented by statistical seaports consisting of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.
Foreign vessel on cruise means a passenger ship intended rather to provide passengers with a pleasure of a journey and facilities for entertainment aboard (luxurious atmosphere, adventures, education, culture, entertainment, sports activities, wellness or recreation) than the transport of persons from one seaport to another. It is equipped for a multi-day stay of passengers aboard and must provide food, drinks and accommodation services. On its journey, a foreign vessel on cruise stops in seaports of several interesting destinations.
A journey is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into the first seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Visit is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into every seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Passengers on board are any persons who arrived by ship irrespective of age, providing that he/she is not a crew member.
Sojourns represent a total number of days a ship spends in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Flag of vessel represents the country in which a ship is registered, that is, entered into the ship registry and is bound by its laws.
Statistical seaport consists of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.
|COVID-19||COrona VIrus Disease-19|
|NN||Narodne novine, official gazette of the Republic of Croatia|
Published by the Croatian Bureau of Statistics, Zagreb, Ilica 3, P. O. B. 80
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 111
Press corner: email@example.com
Edita Omerzo, Director of Spatial Statistics Directorate
Lidija Brković, Director General
Ivana Brozović and Gordana Šiklić
USERS ARE KINDLY REQUESTED TO STATE THE SOURCE.
Customer Relations and Data Protection Department
Information and user requests
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 138, 48 06 154
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 115