Return of foreign vessels on cruise in the first five months compared to the same period in 2021
In the period from January to May 2022, there were 48 foreign vessels on cruise that arrived in Croatian seaports, which realised 135 journeys. There were 97 thousand passengers on board who stayed for 278 days in Croatia. In the same period in 2021, no entry of foreign vessels on cruise was recorded due to the epidemiological measures introduced in Croatia and the world in order to prevent the further spread of COVID-19.
Compared to the first five months of 2019, the number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise decreased by 21.1%, the total number of sojourns by 28.0% and the number of passengers on board those vessels by 60.9%.
In the first five months of 2022, foreign vessels on cruise sailed under the flags of 11 countries. The largest number of journeys of foreign vessels on cruise was realised under the flag of Bahamas, 34 journeys, which was 25.2% of the total journeys realised in the first five months of 2022. They were followed by journeys under the flags of Malta (22 journeys) and Panama (17 journeys).
Out of the total of 135 journeys of foreign vessels on cruise, the majority was realised in the County of Dubrovnik-Neretva (45.2%) and the County of Split-Dalmatia (31.9%), which makes up the total of 77.1%. The remaining 22.9% of journeys were realised in the following counties: Zadar (15.5%), Šibenik-Knin (3.7%), Istria (3.0%) and Primorje-Gorski kotar (0.7%).
The most visited seaport of Dubrovnik
The majority of visits of foreign vessels on cruise were realised in the seaport of Dubrovnik (90 visits), followed by the seaports of Split (68 visits), Zadar (35 visits), Korčula (17 visits), Šibenik (15 visits) and Hvar (14 visits).
1 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE
2 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY FLAG OF VESSEL, JANUARY – MAY 2022
3 FOREIGN VESSELS ON CRUISE, SOJOURNS AND PASSENGERS, BY MONTHS, 2019, 2020, 2021 AND 2022
The purpose of the statistical survey
The statistical survey is aimed at monitoring the entries of foreign vessels on cruise in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia, the number of passengers aboard and the days in which a ship stays in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. The results of this survey provide indicators used in the analysis of tourism in the Republic of Croatia.
The survey is carried out on the basis of the Official Statistics Act (NN, No. 25/20).
Sources and methods of data collection
The data source for the statistical survey on cruises of foreign vessels in the Republic of Croatia is the Croatian Integrated Maritime Information System (CIMIS). The Croatian Bureau of Statistics takes over a part of the database from the Ministry of Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, after which it performs further processing.
Among other data, ships submit information on the ship, journey and passengers to this system through authorised maritime agents and shippers. The accuracy and completeness of the data in the official proceedings of registration is verified by the harbour master’s offices.
Coverage and comparability
Observation unit for this survey is a foreign vessel on a tourist cruise that enters the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
In the tables 1., 2. and 3., the data on foreign vessels on cruise include only seaports of the first entry of the foreign vessel on cruise into the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
In the Graph G-2., the data on visits of foreign vessels on cruise include all seaports visited by those vessels during their stay in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia. Visits in seaports are presented by statistical seaports consisting of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.
Foreign vessel on cruise means a passenger ship intended rather to provide passengers with a pleasure of a journey and facilities for entertainment aboard (luxurious atmosphere, adventures, education, culture, entertainment, sports activities, wellness or recreation) than the transport of persons from one seaport to another. It is equipped for a multi-day stay of passengers aboard and must provide food, drinks and accommodation services. On its journey, a foreign vessel on cruise stops in seaports of several interesting destinations.
A journey is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into the first seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Visit is an entry of a foreign vessel on cruise into every seaport of the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Passengers on board are any persons who arrived by ship irrespective of age, providing that he/she is not a crew member.
Sojourns represent a total number of days a ship spends in the internal sea waters of the Republic of Croatia.
Flag of vessel represents the country in which a ship is registered, that is, entered into the ship registry and is bound by its laws.
Statistical seaport consists of one or more ports, normally controlled by harbour master’s branch offices able to record ship and cargo movements.
|COVID-19||COrona VIrus Disease-19|
|NN||Narodne novine, official gazette of the Republic of Croatia|
Published by the Croatian Bureau of Statistics, Zagreb, Ilica 3, P. O. B. 80
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 111
Press corner: firstname.lastname@example.org
Edita Omerzo, Director of Spatial Statistics Directorate
Lidija Brković, Director General
Ivana Brozović and Gordana Šiklić
USERS ARE KINDLY REQUESTED TO STATE THE SOURCE.
Customer Relations and Data Protection Department
Information and user requests
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 138, 48 06 154
Phone: (+385 1) 48 06 115